Sunday, April 13, 2014

What do you do when you need a miracle or divine intervention?

"What do you do when you're in need of a miracle or divine intervention?" To me, this question had several elements including--need vs. want, personal will vs. the will of God and, of course, faith. I don't expect my study will "answer" your question, but I hope it will help. I invite you to look up these references: Daniel 3:17-18, Hebrews 10:36, 2 Kings 20:2-6 (really liked this story), Matthew 18:14, John 6:38-39, 1 Corinthians 9:17, 2 Nephi 2:21 (Book of Mormon, for anyone unfamiliar) and Helaman 10:5 (also Book of Mormon). Again, the lesson I felt was most compelling came from Christ Himself. INSERT BECCA's INTERPRETATION--In Matthew 26:39, Christ is essentially asking for a miracle, but in full respect to God's will. "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Christ has the faith, and the humility, but it was not within the will of God, and Christ was perfectly accepting of that will. I think this can bring peace because sometimes when the miracle doesn't come, we think to ourselves, maybe I don't have enough faith, maybe if I were humble enough...etc. Christ was these things, but removing the bitter cup was not in keeping with God's will. But what if Christ's prayer had been answered? What if Heavenly Father had let Christ's suffering end? Where would that leave us? Which is, or would have been, the greater miracle? Heavenly Father answering Christ's prayer, or Christ completing the Atonement of mankind? Which the greater tragedy? I hope those Scriptural references offer some comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment